Thursday, June 28, 2007

What comes next?

It's been several weeks since my race and with no races coming up, the inevitable question must be asked: What now?

Well, I've been running 2 or 3 times a week since my race and doing a bit of riding here and there. I've avoided trips to the pool altogether. Swimming can get incredibly boring for me without a goal (in fact, boredom with swimming is how I got started in the sport of tri!) and after this last race, I have little motivation to maintain or work on my swimming. Last year's swimming motivation came entirely from my absolutely insane entry in the Little Red Lighthouse Swim (5.8 miles in the Hudson). Given how fast my swim was at the Mooseman and how much work the other legs of my race need, I feel I could do just fine on a once a week swim schedule in the future.

Anyway, the running and biking are soon to cease as well. Why? I'm going away for 3 and a half months!!! One week in Vancouver, one week in Seattle and three months in South America. The epic trip is now only 3 weeks and one day away and it suddenly hit me this week...I'm really doing this!

Yet, even though my brain is mostly filled with travel plans, a little room for thinking about my next triathlon season remains. Given that my next racing season seems to occupy at least as much mindshare as speculation over my next job, I must be officially hooked. I'm thinking of joining a tri team of some sort in the city, doing my first sprint (woah -- scaling down, what a concept for me!) and trying to add some serious speed to my olympic time. Maybe there will even be a new sister for Rocinante (no one tell my girlfriend this, please)! I'm backing away from the half for at least a year...or at least that's what I'm thinking right now, but given that I have 3+ months of potentially attitude-changing travel ahead of me, it's hard to say what will happen next.

Here's what I know for sure --

What comes next for Rocinante? A storage space :(
What comes next for the blog? Travel blog transformation!
What comes next for Jessica? A giant leap into the unknown

No comments: