Monday, August 06, 2007

Sailing Glory

I have a penchant for sea sickness. Numerous boat outings have consisted of lots of head over side time. Typically, I most enjoy being at sea when unconscious. Thus, you might understand my fear when Kate's dad suggested we help crew for his weekly sailing race while we were in town. That and I don't know a thing about how to sail, let alone race.

You can imagine my surprise when I not only avoided getting sick, but also helped crew on the winning boat! While my contribution primarily consisted of staying out of the way and running from side to side to dangle my feet over the appropriate side of the boat, I did learn some handy sailing terms and attempted to man the sheet of the spinnaker (hopefully I got my terminology for pulling a rope right!).

Tomorrow we fly to Buenos Aires where it looks comfortably cool, unlike sweltering NYC. For now, enjoy the new sailing photos!

2 comments:

Melz said...

Oh I am so homesick fro Seattle now. I used to live there and sail with my friend and his wife. They have a 47 foot Catalina in Elliot Bay Marina. What beautiful pictures. And I'm happy to crew if Kate's dad needs anyone to head up to the San Juans :)

Steve Sargent said...

well it's wed after the race and Steve missed you both. They came in second and ran into the sand bar. They obviously needed you both on the boat. Hope your trips going smoothly and your having fun.