Saturday, January 13, 2007

Pop culture confessions

I have some embarrassing habits which I go to great lengths to either paint in an endearing light or simply hide. The girlfriend, I can assure you, is well versed in all of them by now. Only she could tell you, for instance, how often I have watched Bend it Like Beckham while riding my bike on the trainer.

It's cold(ish) and dark out during most of the hours I can ride now. This weekend, it would be warm enough to do my 4.5 hrs of required riding outside, except that it's raining and forecasted to continue raining the entire time. That means most of my logged biking time is on the trainer.

Whenever possible I watch something new from Netflix as I ride. We get no TV reception, so actual programming is out of the question. Ultimately, I end up relying on our DVD collection for entertainment during most of my rides. I'd say one out of every five rides or so I watch Bend it Like Beckham. Since I have enough time to watch about 2 or 3 movies this weekend - it's almost a guarantee that it's going to be part of my weekend.

I confess: I am addicted to a pop-ish movie about girl athletes set to undeniably poppy music.

Just wait till I tell you what's on my running mix. As a preview, can I just say, George Michael ROCKS!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

any suggestions on a good trainer to get? since running isn't my thing...and I'd like to be able to do indoor cardio... plus my bike is already taking up space, I might as well add something to it and make it useful right?

Jessica said...

The bike trainer has revolutionized my life -- I get to exercise and not feel guilty about my movie-watching habit. This is the one I have. It's a good bargain for what you get. Also, Kate bought me a stand for the front wheel which you'll probably want for a stable ride. The only other thing to note, is that personally I need motivation when I'm reading inside. Having a computer that tells me how "fast" I'm going helps, but a heart rate monitor could serve the same purpose.