Monday, January 08, 2007

This woman CAN run

I ran across this article while at work for reasons completely unrelated to running or triathlon. While it makes little sense that compact fluorescent bulbs led me here, I don't feel the need to justify this tenuous connection, except to say, the world wide web is weird sometimes.

Should you have no desire to read this article, let me sum it up for you: unless you look like a man, women, you shouldn't be running.

Thanks Michael Boyle, this is just the genius analysis I've been looking for -- a position that none of my physicians, physical therapists or friends in those professions has agreed with. Because what's a PhD when you have conviction and a paying speaking gig?

One of the elements in this article that really antagonizes me is his highly dismissive, sexist manner of addressing this issue. For example,
You can't run to get that cute little runner's body. It's actually reversed. You have to have that cute little runner's body to survive running.
Right. The only reason women run is to get that "cute little runner's body". None of us like our breasts or hips. We all want them gone!

And further,
The bottom line: Running is not good for most females. If you want higher-intensity exercise, ride a stationary bike. Take a spin class, use a stairclimber, and don't run.
Oh, a stationary bike! Can I? Can I please?! I just love the bike that doesn't go anywhere.

Putting my sarcasm aside for a minute, when I was suffering from some knee pain in my first year of triathloning, it was actually caused by cycling, NOT running. But I suppose since that was outdoor cycling, rather than the safe little stationary bike, Mike is still right.

My advice to the ladies with curves? If you want to run, friggin' go running. If you're in pain, go see a doctor. Whatever you do, don't take advice from columnists with no medical cred.

No comments: