Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Evolution of a Workout

1o:00 p.m. yesterday Decide I'm going to swim in the morning. Set the alarm clock and go to bed

6:15 a.m. today Alarm goes off. I tell the girlfriend to hit the snooze.

6:25 a.m. Alarm goes off again. I tell the girlfriend I'm tired. She puts up a big fight by yawning and saying "okay" as she resets the alarm for 7:00 a.m.

7:00 a.m. Alarm goes off again. Girlfriend turns it off and promptly wiggles further under the covers.

7:23 a.m. I realize we are still in bed and force myself to get up and into the shower. While in the shower I rationalize my missed workout by deciding to go to the gym or for a run after work. I decide I need the cardio exercise more than the lifting and tell myself I'll run.

8:15 a.m. Pack a bag with running clothes for the gym in case the weather is bad. This way, I won't find myself looking out the window of my office at 5 p.m. and deciding that it's too awful out to run when I get home and too late to go home, get clothes and go back to the gym.

6:00 p.m. Decide the weather is good enough to run outside, but man, it's dark out. Am I really sure about going for a run tonight??

6:45 p.m. I go for a run! Given that it's dark out, and I believe in taking every precaution when running in the dark - especially since I live in the north end of Manhattan, I run over to Riverbank State Park where there's a track with tons of stadium lighting, lots of people and security guards. On my way over this evening, I happen to notice a lot of police milling about and a few squad cars pull into the park as I'm making my way over from Riverside Drive. More and more officers everywhere and I start to get worried that something has happened at the park. As I walk by the lit up gymnasium I peek inside to see the band warming up for the Police Academy graduation! I think this run will be quite safe, thank you.

8:00 p.m. Fully exercised and stretched out, I sit and tap away at the laptop as the best girlfriend in the world cooks my dinner.

Thank god every workout isn't this hard!

On another note, I revisited my training plan recently. I haven't paid it much mind since I'm not actually on it till Nov 27, but when taking a peak, I noticed that I promised I'd write at least two positive things about my training each week in my blog. Since I'm training for training in all my other sports, I'll get some practice in on this front as well.

Positive statement: I used to be plagued with side cramps during my runs. I'd have to stop and walk it off probably 1 out of every 3 runs. I've had positively no stomach/side discomfort on a single run since I started back up. I have my physical therapist to thank for this new miracle!

No comments: