Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Beyond training

Yesterday morning I woke up at 6:15 a.m. to go for a swim. The girlfriend and I stepped out the door in the pitch black and were hit by some of the first really cold air of the season. Even though I knew I wouldn't, I had a strong desire to climb back into that warm bed with the fluffy down comforter just calling my name.

When we turned the corner, however, I looked straight down the street to see a gigantic full moon across the Hudson slowly sinking into the lights of New Jersey. I was completely mesmerized by that sight - and it only got better as the George Washington Bridge, all lit up, came into view.

Not to be all nostalgic, but I would never had gotten that amazing glimpse if it wasn't for my silly obsession with this activity -- lord knows I would certainly have been in bed yesterday at 6:15.

The same has certainly been true of biking. Anyone who really wants to be intoxicated by the idea of the size and grandeur of Manhattan needs to see it from the George Washington Bridge the day after a major rain storm has cleaned all the smog and haze out of the air. The gray buildings stand in amazing relief against a blue sky decorated with innocent, puffy clouds. And yet, I have not a single picture of these things to share with you. I guess you'll just have to venture out there on your own!

3 comments:

Lauren Sommer said...

Hey jessica,

Be careful, dude:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/fashion/07Fitness.html

Lauren Sommer said...

Oops, here's the end of that link:

fashion/07Fitness.html

Jessica said...

Kate sent me this one too. I always knew running sucked! :)