Thursday, December 28, 2006

The holidays are taking a toll

I'm going to take a minute here just to whine a little. It's great to have lots of fun things to do during the holidays -- people to see, parties to attend, family to visit -- but it's really cramping my triathlon style and it's definitely killing my blog.

I spent this past weekend in my hometown with my parents. The holiday weekend fell over the end of my "prep" period, requiring 8.5 hrs of training a week, and the beginning of my "base 1" period, which requires 10 hrs of training. Meanwhile, there's not a pool or a bike trainer in sight. So I resigned myself to running. I actually ran roughly 16.5 miles that weekend and I can say with utter certainty that it sucked.

My body still hates to run, and running sans rest days does NOT help. My parents also live on top of one long, steep hill which ends each run in utter agony. If I were in a positive mood I'd refer to this hill as "icing on the cake", but I'm more inclined at the moment to describe it as hell.

Ok, whining done. The upside is, I'm still getting the hours of training in, even if I'm not really getting the blog posts done.

No comments: