Thursday, September 21, 2006

Bar with a view


This is tangentially related to tri training, but given my propensity to mix working out with booze, I couldn't resist mentioning a visit to my new favorite Manhattan bar. The Hotel QT sports a bar with a pool -- a pool with a swim up window to the bar!

If only the pool was lap-swim size -- I could grab a drink after a set for my "active" recovery. Just kidding, I would never do anything so decadent, especially at these drink prices.

Aside from any aspirations to mix swimming and drinking, the bar is related to the sport of tri because I was there to commemorate the recent victories of New York's Team Danskin Training. I didn't get to see all the ladies cross the finish line, but I'd been helping lead workouts since mid-July, so it was gratifying to hear all their race day stories. What an inspiring and eclectic group of women! With a wide range of ages, body types, incomes, and professions among them, they certainly prove that the title of triathlete is worn by an astoundingly diverse bunch of women.

In fact -- getting back to my new favorite bar -- one of the women was an accomplished synchronized swimmer in her former life. Talk about party tricks! From behind the bar (on the 'dry' side), I watched as her leg emerged from the water with a wine glass daintily held between her toes!

No comments: