Sunday, September 10, 2006

Here's what an off-season ride looks like

Ah, the off-season. It was a beautiful day for a little "adventure" ride to the beach. The girlfriend (Kate) and I set out this morning (or more accurately, afternoon) with a bike map of the city, some PB&Js and beach towels.

One flat tire (mine) and several wrong turns later we found ourselves at Orchard Beach in the Bronx. I'm not sure if this place is a hopping location in the heat of the summer, but it definitely had a sleepy, slightly abandoned feel this afternoon. But not so sleepy that we couldn't find a beer to wash down those PB&Js!

After all the rainy weekends, this sunny, slightly cool weekend was exactly what the doctor ordered. I spent yesterday on the beach as well, helping the Danskin tri ladies finish their trial run at Sandy Hook. The sun and wind left me sleepy and content at the end of the day, even if my swim was barely long enough to get the blood flowing, most of my time on the bike was spent standing in place playing traffic cop and the run was over in less than 15 min.

I'm adding another gratutious photo of me getting sassy on the beach cause I think it'll make a fine shot for my profile. Despite the beer, sand in my socks and sun exhaustion, the ride back went much faster than the ride out to the beach. It's amazing how much time you save by actually knowing where you're going! Who would'a thought...

No comments: