Thursday, October 19, 2006

The hardest part of swimming - getting out of bed

After my epic 5.85 mile swim, I decided to lay off the swimming for a while, a much deserved break I felt. Conveniently, my pool of choice, Riverbank State Park, was also closed for maintenance all of September. After it reopened, however, my "vacation" from the pool turned into a big ol' source of guilt. I put off the return till after the big biking weekend, but still, the guilt plagued me!

Finally this morning, I made my proud return to the pool, despite having to drag myself (and the girlfriend!) out of bed long before sunrise. The swim itself was not particularly noteworthy. As with all my first swims after a long break, my arms felt ready to fall off. It's amazing how all that lifting makes not one lick of difference when it comes to that first swim.

But that's not important! I got up -- that's what matters. And I'm throwing down the gauntlet by publicly declaring that I'm going to swim tomorrow morning as well. I'm hoping the public declaration -- and fear of humiliation -- will pull me out of bed tomorrow at 6:30. Here's to the experiment...

No comments: