Monday, October 16, 2006

My new lucky number: 175

That's right, the girlfriend and I each rode 175 miles this weekend. And to think, it was all a big accident! If I had told her that we should do a century ride and a 60 mile tour (that ended up being 75) on the same weekend, all I would have gotten was a dirty look. I thought it was pure insanity too, but after a little thought -- and with the registrations already paid -- it seemed like a brilliant challenge!

Mind you, this was my first century ride ever. Despite the fact that my eyes were bloodshot and I opted for the subway over riding back from the finish on Sunday, I felt like a modern day, real world Super Woman.

My bike may be "cheap" by road bike standards, but Rocinante and I have officially gone the distance. Just as I was sentimental about the junker mini van I learned to drive on, Rocinante will always hold a special place in my heart, long after I've run him completely into the ground.

Out of pure curiosity I had to figure out how far 175 miles could take me if I'd ridden them straight. In fact, the distance from NYC to Boston is not much further. My muscles may be stiff and sore, and my rear my have suffered irreversible damage, but the pain only deepens the sense of accomplishment. Nothing like extreme discomfort to let you know that you're definitely alive!

No comments: